This Sunday is the Super Bowl, and if you are the type of person who likes to place a bet, make it a smart one and stay off the roads.
A report recently released by the Auto Club of Southern California found that your chance of being involved in a car crash with someone drunk driving can as much as double on that day as opposed to any other Sunday this season.
Looking over crash data from five consecutive years, the Auto Club found there was a 77% increase in alcohol-related crashes causing injury or death on Super Bowl Sunday.
Data from the BACtrack Consumption Report lines up with this conclusion. In 2014, the average BAC on Super Bowl Sunday was 0.087%, the third highest day of the year.
In addition, an oft-cited 2008 study from the Workforce Institute at Kronos estimates that 4.4 million employees arrive to work late the day after the Super Bowl, while more than 1.5 million don't go to work that day at all.
This year, cheer on your team, have fun, and make sure your loved ones get home safely. Stay informed of your BAC--and that of your loved ones--and make sure everyone makes smarter decisions while drinking.
Here are a few ideas on how to get the most out of your BACtrack this weekend:
- For best results, wait 15-20 minutes after drinking alcohol to test yourself. (Here's why.)
- Test yourself during every quarter to see how your BAC rises and falls throughout the game.
- Use a BACtrack Smartphone Breathalyzer to communicate your BAC level with friends and family during the game.
- Find a friend to keep pace with and drink the same amount in the same time frame. Test your BAC periodically and observe how even when 2 people drink the same amount, their BAC can been quite different. (Read why this is.)
- Use replaceable mouthpieces to safely share your breathalyzer with loved ones.
- When the game is over, ask all your friends to check their BAC before they go anywhere.
- Show your support for safe drinking practices by using the tag #bactrack on social media.
Have fun and remember: responsible drinking starts with you!