BACtrack® Consumption Report
For the fifth time, BACtrack shares consumer Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) data for review and analysis. The data provides insight into alcohol consumption patterns around the nation, and is regularly updated and analyzed.
In this report, we examine average BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) levels of NFL fans by team affiliation, and for Sunday games from pre-season through Sunday, October 26th. We used Twitter's map of NFL fan allegiance in order to associate BAC results with NFL teams across the country. BAC data points are collected anonymously from users of BACtrack Mobile, BACtrack's award-winning smartphone breathalyzer, and BACtrack Vio.
Our interactive chart displays average BAC levels and team wins and losses. Use the drop down to choose your team in the chart, or click on a team on the interactive map.You can also view all NFL fan BAC data in excel
Which Fans Drink the Most on Game Days?
NFL Fans’ Average BAC Levels Have a Wide Range, From Just Under the Legal Limit of 0.08% BAC to Nearly Sober at 0.015% BAC
- NFL fans with the highest average BACs include the Buffalo Bills (0.076%), Detroit Lions (0.069%), Philadelphia Eagles (0.069%), Cleveland Browns (0.064%), and Arizona Cardinals (.062%). San Diego Chargers follow closely behind with 0.0618% BAC.
- NFL fans with the lowest average BACs include the Houston Texans (0.035%), New York Giants (0.033%), New Orleans Saints (0.021%), Tennessee Titans (0.021%) and Cincinnati Bengals (0.015%).
- One-third of NFL fans have an average BAC of 0.06% or higher on game days, a level at which judgement and self-control are inhibited.
- Interestingly enough, Buffalo Bills fans were also rated the most intoxicated NFL fans in a book published in 2014.
More Game Day Insights
A Team’s Record Does Not Impact Average BAC levels
- NFL fans' average BAC levels do not correlate with a team's record of wins and losses. Case in point: Tennessee Titans with 1 win and 5 losses (0.021% BAC) and Cincinnati Bengals with 6 wins and 0 losses (0.015% BAC).
- Interestingly enough, New England Patriot fans’ average BAC levels (0.041%) nearly match those of Green Bay Packer fans (0.042%), and both teams have 6 wins and 0 losses in the first 7 weeks of the season.
The Majority of NFL Fans’ BAC Levels Increase With the Start of Football Season
- Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles fans demonstrate this best with regular season average BAC levels 84% and 49%, respectively, higher than pre-season average BAC levels.
- Two-thirds of NFL team fans have a higher average BAC during the regular season compared to pre-season.
Taking a look back at The Big Game
- Based on our 2015 Super Bowl Consumption Report, which examined average BAC levels during the Super Bowl, we see the highest three average BAC levels for fans during the 2015-2016 season are right in between Seahawks fans (0.084%) and Patriots fans (0.065%) during the Super Bowl.
Data for the BACtrack Consumption Report was collected anonymously from users of the BACtrack app, which syncs with BACtrack Mobile and BACtrack Vio smartphone breathalyzers. Regular season data represents unique BAC tests collected anonymously on Sundays, 6 AM to Mondays, 5:59 AM from Sunday, September 13, 2015 through Sunday, October 25, 2015. Pre-season data represents unique BAC tests collected anonymously on Sundays, 6 AM to Mondays, 5:59 AM from May 1, 2015 to September 6, 2015. Data used in the report was collected from U.S. users with data storage activated, location services turned on, and does not represent data from all users.
Media inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacey Sachs at email@example.com or 415/425-8324.
BACtrack sales, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Developers interested in our API or SDK, contact email@example.com. Also visit bactrack.com/pages/sdk-and-api.
Researchers interested in data collaboration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or call us toll free at 877.334.6876.
How a BACtrack Works
When alcohol is consumed, it is absorbed from the mouth, throat, stomach, and intestines into the bloodstream.
As blood flows through the lungs, alcohol in the bloodstream moves across the membranes of the lung’s air sacs (alveoli) into the air. The concentration of the alcohol in the alveolar air is directly related to the concentration of the alcohol in the blood. As the alveolar air is exhaled, the alcohol in it can be detected by the breath alcohol testing device.
BACtrack Mobile and BACtrack Vio Smartphone Breathalyzers
All data in this study was collected from the BACtrack Mobile, BACtrack's award-winning smartphone breathalyzer with police-grade Xtend®Fuel Cell Sensor Technology, and BACtrack Vio, BACtrack's newest smartphone breathalyzer model. When a user blows into BACtrack Mobile or BACtrack Vio, BAC results are wirelessly transmitted via Bluetooth® to an iOS or Android device, including Apple Watch. With the free BACtrack companion app, a user can get more than a simple BAC result -- they can track, save and share BAC results, attach a note or photo to a result, and with BACtrack's ZeroLine® feature, get an estimate of when their BAC will return to 0.00%.
San Francisco-based BACtrack is the leader in breathalyzers, offering a full range of innovative products for both personal and professional use. Founded in 2001, BACtrack helps people monitor their blood alcohol content and make informed decisions about alcohol consumption. In April 2013, BACtrack launched BACtrack Mobile, the world's first smartphone breathalyzer that uses fuel cell sensor technology and Bluetooth connectivity and has since won Popular Science's 'Best of What's New' Award for its innovation in health, and was rated the #1 breathalyzer brand by Car and Driver Magazine. BACtrack breathalyzers are available in 20 countries and at over 15,000 store locations including Walgreens, Costco, Best Buy, Target, Rite Aid, and Pep Boys. BACtrack products can also be purchased online at BACtrack.com, Amazon, Walmart.com and Target.com. BACtrack products have been featured on Oprah's All Stars, The Dr. Phil Show, The Doctors, and MythBusters. Connect with BACtrack via Twitter and on Facebook. For more company information, explore our site, www.bactrack.com.