BACtrack Breathalyzers Presents Five Alcohol-Free Sips to Savor This Summer
Though scientific research has shown that moderate drinking (1-2 drinks, 2-3 times per week) in adulthood does have some health benefits, it is also important to give the booze a rest to let our bodies rest and recuperate. During these hot summer months, some prefer to take a vacation from alcohol entirely.
But even when indulging, consuming something other than booze helps you control how much you drink. An easy way to accomplish this is to drink a glass of water after each alcoholic beverage you consume. Another way is to alternate alcoholic beverages with mocktails.
Here are our top five favorite mocktail recipes:
Summerlight Sparkler - makes 8 servings
- 1 liter of ginger ale, chilled
- 12 fl. oz of pinapple juice, chilled
- 16 fl. oz of white grape juice, chilled
Serve in flutes, garnish with a raspberry. Very popular at graduation parties and baby showers!
Tornado Twist - makes 2 servings
- 12 oz. Trader Joe's Pomegranate Limeade -or- 6 fl. oz of cranberry juice and 6 fl. oz of limeade
- 6 fl. oz soda water
Pour into a glass with ice, garnish with a lime. A wonderful way to cool off on a hot summer day.
Shirley Temple - makes 1 serving
- 6 fl oz of lemon-lime carbonated beverage (Sprite, 7 Up, etc.)
- 1 dash of grenadine syrup
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry
Serve over ice or chill and serve in martini glass. Classic non-alcoholic bevvy for kids and adults!
Pepper-Mint Limeade - makes 4 servings
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1/8 cup of sugar
In a large pitcher, stir together the lime juice and sugar until dissolved. Stir in mint sprigs, and mash with a wooden spoon or chopstick. Pour in water, and mix well. Mix in jalapeno slices. Put a lid on the pitcher, and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight.
Grapefruit Mojito - makes 2 servings
- 1/4 ruby or pink grapefruit, cut into small chunks and remove seeds
- 2 tbs. agave syrup or honey
- 12 fresh mint leaves, roughly torn
1/2 cup soda water, plus more as needed
Put the grapefruit pieces, agave and mint in a cocktail shaker. Muddle the fruit until the juice is released. Add one cup small ice cubes to the shaker with the half cup soda; attach the lid and shake until combined. Pour into two tumblers with ice. Garnish with mint sprigs. Enjoy!